Do I need a Doctor’s note for accessing physiotherapy services?
No, you do not need a doctor’s note for physiotherapy, Chiropractic and Massage therapy services.
In Ontario, doctor’s referral is not required to access any regulated health professionals, who are the members of their respective colleges. Our physiotherapists/Chiropractor/Massage therapists are registered with their respective colleges – the body that regulates Physiotherapy / Chiropractic / Massage therapy profession in Ontario. The college serves to protect the public, making sure healthcare professionals are safe, ethical, and competent.However, it could be a requirement of your health insurance company to allow you to receive such services. Please check in with your insurance benefit in this case.
What do I need to bring with me?Bring 2 piece of ID, Physiotherapy/Massage therapy referral, and Radiological investigation reports if you have. Additionally, if you have Health Coverage, bring your Health coverage card (EHC card). For Workers’ Compensation, bring your claim number and your case manager’s contact information. If you are involved in Motor Vehicle accident, bring motor vehicle insurance company pink slip, claim number and Accident benefit adjuster details if you have.
How many visits will I need?This is highly variable and depends on several factors including your type of injury, your personal medical history, and how well your condition responds to the treatment. You may need only one visit or you may require several visits and many months of care. Your professional at We Care Rehab Clinic will discuss with you how many visits you may require. Your progress will be re-evaluated on an ongoing basis and will assist your physiotherapist/ Chiropractor / Massage therapist in adjusting your frequency of treatment as needed.
How should I dress?You should wear loose fitting clothing so that your professional at We Care Rehab Clinic can easily move your joints and entire body as that helps us perform a thorough examination. You should be able to expose the area that we will be evaluating and treating. For example, if you have a knee problem, it is best to wear shorts. For a shoulder problem, a sleeveless tank top is a good choice. For low back problems, wear loose fitting shirt and shorts.
Yes. If you’re insurance company/policy allows direct billing.
- Arrive at your appointment with your prescription, if you have.
- A physiotherapist /Chiropractor at WE Care Rehab Clinic in Hamilton, Stoney Creek will conduct your initial evaluation and discuss the following:
- Your current condition and cause of the injury.
- Your past medical history including medications, tests, and procedures related to your health and current problem.
- The intensity of your pain – for example, when and what aggravates the pain and what you currently do to ease the pain.
- How your condition/pain is impacting your daily activities. What are your functional limitations?
- What you hope to achieve from therapy i.e.: setting your individual goals.
You will be evaluated by one of our licensed and highly trained professional at We Care Rehab Clinic. The therapist will perform an objective evaluation which may include some of the following:
- Palpation - touching around the area of the pain/problem. This is done to check for tenderness, possible swelling, soft tissue integrity, tissue temperature, or deformity.
- Range of Motion (ROM) - the therapist may move certain joints, to check for the quality of movement and to assess for any abnormalities of these joints as well as the ligaments, muscles, and tendons that surround them.
- Active Movement and Strength - the therapist may check for strength and the quality of the muscle contraction. Pain and weakness may be noted. Often the muscle strength is graded.
- Neurological Screening - the therapist may check to see how the nerves are communicating with the muscles, sensing touch, pain, vibration, or temperature. Reflexes may be assessed as well.
- Special Tests - the therapist may perform special tests to confirm/rule out the presence of additional problems.
- Posture Assessment - the positions of joints relative to ideal and each other may be assessed.
The physiotherapist/ Chiropractor/ Massage Therapist at We Care Rehab Clinic will review your symptoms and objective findings from their examination and discuss the findings with you. Together you will plan your treatment. The therapist will continually evaluate the effect of treatment on your condition and adjust the treatment plan if necessary. Your plan will also help you manage your condition at home and educate you on how to prevent reoccurrence of problems.
‘Flare ups’ (exacerbations) of managed pain or a recurrence of a problem can occur for a variety of reasons. If this happens you should either call or return to see your physiotherapist/ Chiropractor / Massage therapist at WE Care Rehab Clinic. You may need to return to physiotherapy/ chiropractic care/ Massage therapy service for further assessment or treatment, may need to see your doctor, or may simply need to modify your daily activities or exercise routine until the flare up subsides or the problem resolves.
Plan for a minimum of half an hour, and a maximum of one hour. This depends on whether your appointment is an assessment or treatment.
Yes. We are located in a large plaza with many parking spaces.